Gerband 586 Airtight Tape offers permanent adhesion as well as outstanding ageing resistance.
It is a pliable and stretchable PE-film sealing tape with moisture-resistant, polyacrylate adhesive of extremely high tack. The slight elasticity in connection with tear resistant thread reinforcement makes the Gerband 586 Airtight Tape universally suitable for achieving airtightness as well as sealing many types of surfaces.
While the PET reinforcement helps preventing over-expansion of the adhesive tape, it has a very aggressive adhesive. It even sticks at extremely low temperatures and conforms to DIN 4108-7.
As a result, our Airtight Tape might be used indoors for the airtight bonding of wind and vapour barriers. Due to its specification – you can use it in non-visible areas of building components and also on impact resistant plastics (pipes, windows), wood or metal. Finally, it is available in various sizes, from 50-150mm.
- Wood (especially Hard wood-based panel materials),
- Gypsum fibreboards,
- Cement fibreboards,
- Hard plastics and electric cables.
- Vapour control layers / retarder sheeting,
- Smooth to rough PE/PA/PO/PP sheeting, Kraft papers, Aluminium membranes.
- Gerband 586 Tape is used indorrs for the airtight bonding and sealing of penetrations and overlaps of wind and vapor barriers according to DIN 4108-7. Surfaces must be stable, dry, free of grease and dust and may not contain adhesive-repellent coating.
- For bonding MDF boards we recommend preconditioning the surfaces with Gerband Primer.
- We recommend bonding to surfaces such as smooth or slightly rough PE webs and non-waxed kraft paper. Aluminium sheeting, impact resistant plastic, metal and wooden sheathing may also be used.
Membrane to Membrane
Align the membrane correctly (100mm overlap, indicated on the print of the membrane) and fit the tape evenly between the membranes. Apply pressure to ensure good adhesion.
Membrane to Steel
The steel should be dry, dust and rust free. If in doubt apply a coat of primer to the steel and let dry. Apply Gerband 586 tape equally between the membrane and the steel, apply sufficient pressure to ensure good adhesion.
Membrane to Timber
The timber should be reasonably smooth, dry and dust free. If in doubt apply a coat of primer to the timber and let dry. Apply Gerband 586 Tape equally between the membrane and the timber, apply sufficient pressure to ensure good adhesion.
Membrane to Concrete
The concrete should be smooth, dry and dust free. It is recommended that a coat of primer is applied to the concrete and let dry. Apply Gerband 586 tape equally between the membrane and prepared concrete, apply sufficient pressure to ensure good adhesion.